Thursday, May 1, 2014

"That weird teenager with a tattoo" or, Letting go of the fear

I'm radically unschooled, and a component of this lifestyle is letting your children make educated, informed decisions about their bodies. Unschooling is implemented differently in every family, so there is no "right way" to do it, but this is my family's way.
About three weeks ago, my mother let me get a tattoo. I'm only fifteen, so she had to sign the consent form. The tattoo artist was astonished that my mother let me make such a big decision about my body. Here's some of the preparation I did for my tattoo:
  • I found all the available places to get a tattoo, and picked the one that seemed the best and ensured that it was a clean place to get a tattoo. 
  • I thought about my tattoo for a very long time, and did not rush into the decision.
  • My mother was with me the whole time, and supported my decision. 
  • I placed it on my inner foot because it's an area easily concealable for job interviews, etc. and relatively impervious to change from growth or other things.
  • I picked an inscription from "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T. S. Eliot.
So why do parents fear letting their children make decisions about their bodies?  Many parents who restrict their children watch as they break rules without thinking of the consequences (whether arbitrary ones set by parents, or real-life consequences). Sometimes they do this to be rebellious. With unschooling, we circumvent that because there is nothing to rebel from. We're free to live our lives (with our parents' guidance/assistance) and make educated, informed decisions. Parents don't do this, because they fear their children will make a bad decision. But yet, the unschoolers I see haven't. They assume their children aren't prepared to make decisions as permanent as a tattoo, and maybe they're right. One of the main points of unschooling is preparing your child to live their lives and make informed decisions. My parents prepared me to make good decisions about my body, so I do. If you constantly limit your children, and don't help educate them on the consequences, they never learn it.
How many people drink and party whenever they go off to college? Do they do this because they have a burning desire to get drunk and hung over? I believe they do it because they are experiencing freedom from limits and arbitrary punishments for the first time. Their parents aren't around to restrict them, and they aren't prepared mentally or emotionally to regulate themselves, so they do things that aren't logical. If a child is prepared to think things through logically, they realize it doesn't make any sense to drink, get sick, get hung over, and not study. The message to parents should be: Raise your children to think, not just obey. Let go of the fear that they'll do crazy things without thinking of the consequences. Trust yourself and your children.
Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment: